Skip navigation

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:42 pm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:24 pm 
Renegade Spaceman!!!

Last time I was here, it was a year and a half ago. And things have gotten crazy. But, I've missed having a place with so many artists giving feedback. Sometimes it's rough out there on the internet, but you guys are chill here, I'm going to make it a habit to grab a beer and just hang out here on the forums, I feel like if I took that route.. things might've been easier.

Anyways, if you guys don't mind I'd like to tell you a story about art and business and life and I'll post some art along the way. Maybe the young artists can learn from my mistakes, and the older ones can tsk tsk. fuck it haha

So since the last time I posted I had been living in NY, had some projects and startups going that fell through because of time money, people, we all had a part it the blame. NY is rough, the money and time is very high stakes. I'm a florida boy that likes beach and calm, honestly I didn't fit in.

I cam back to FL with nothing just trying to get back on my feet I was working as a server and seeing what I could do with art, having no connections or anything down here anymore. Being a server was very detrimental to me trying to do art on the side, time and everything it was just madness. I needed to be stable. Also to be honest, honest with my art bros. I was getting into too much trouble, and I was wild, I needed to be reigned in, realigned. The only final ART, like personal art I could make, out of that time. was brawler sailor moon. And that came from a bad place, that's not a healthy process for me to have.

Obviously I still did art and worked on projects, but they didn't come from anywhere inside me, just knowledge. It was just work. Because I had to.

So somehow, maybe fate I found a job as a dance teacher, and I was terrible at it, and my boss was a hard ass. But you know what? I needed that. I had learned a terrible arrogance and recklessness along the way, and that world pumped my brakes. HARD.

So I stayed there for a while, I learned, I worked and in the end I got good at it. I relearned how to learn and work. But I'm not a goddamn dancer, and I was not gonna be a goddamn dance teacher for life. So in the meantime, I had my store going and my websites, and I was marketing, but I wasn't producing and I needed a way out.

And here's the part maybe can help out somebody. So, with a friend that was in a similar spot, where he just wanted to move FORWARD we created Art in the Park where we just did art on sundays at the park, demos, kids, classes, and we networked and met valuable people in the area.

Maybe it's not an eye opener for some, but for me I assumed the art and getting good was the hard part. But there was a whole other side that needs just as much work and it's just getting out there. So from there we met businesses and galleries.

I met a guy that owns a t-shirt factory and brought me in to partner with him for designs and rebuild the business. But, all I see now is just a start.

I failed trying to do things on my own, but art is a battle and theres is stregth in numbers. Old me would try and hog this factory position to myself, be cut-throat and try to rock it. But, I know I can't keep that up, so I've been bringing in other artists little by little to help carry the load. So maybe if I fail again, I don't have to Start all over.

ANYWAYS TL:DR SUAREZ FUCKED UP, LEARNED THAT THE ART WORLD IS EASIER BY NETWORKING AND WORKING HARD.

Also I don't need to tell anyone this, but this is all things that affect my art, and I'm sure you all have things that affect yours too. There has to be a balance between the part you want to show and whats underneath.

But if I want to post here more a be part of the community I'd rather be honest and upfront, because putting on an act all the time is exhausting.

Anyways here's some art!

Design for a shirt!

Tried it as print!

Some hot chicks that were for a clothing line here but i might be doing as a print.

And I fucking LOOOOVED PACIFIC RIM.

Any crits or comments are greatly appreciated, all that stuff that happened it's just context for the art, the art is always gonna be there, you can ignore the context if you want.

Also this Tshirt thing is kinda overwhelming, I'm flying in some help from NY, but I'm open to any ideas or discussion on the topic, I think I've proven that I'm very open and no topic is taboo for me!

Last thing I started a facebook art page and I don't know what I'm doing, so if anyone has experience... https://www.facebook.com/johnsuarezart I'm just winging it guys

Glad to be back! Sorry for the word diarheeaaaaaaaaaaaaa

deviantart

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:26 am 
New Challenger!!!

Twitter: alexxxcastaneda
Dude it's you! The guy with the crazy brush stroke! The first piece is just brutal! I want that on a shirt! Btw I totally hear you on your story man! Add a newborn to that mix and that's pretty much my case! Haaa Life's a bitch but we chose this path and in the end we will prevail. Sometimes I produce most of my best art under a lot of personal stress I hope the same works with you. Hope we meet one day and share a beer. Cheers!

Profile Send private message E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:00 am 
Plank Walker

Twitter: bamccray
Ooh, pretty! And by pretty, I mean "crazy awesome, etc.". But yeah, I'm a fan, keep 'em coming!

http://dribbble.com/bamccray

http://retrosparity.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:06 pm 
Renegade Spaceman!!!

alexxx - Thanks man! Yeah the stress definitely makes the best work, sometimes when I feel too happy and calm I'm just like "Damn, guess I gotta find stress sooon."

And congrats on the newborn! I can tell you without a doubt that all my artists friends once they have a child in the mix, their art, career and life just focused like a lazer, it was like a switch went off. You already rock, so I'm excited to see your journey! Def a beer in the future!

-BAM- Thanks man! Here's some stuff around last year summer.

I know some people at hasbro and they wanted to see some new zbrush stuff, so I busted some samples out.

Actually, most of it was unfished stuff and sketches that I just finished up. I did a bust for a toy, I'm pretty sure it was just a test to see if I could work with them and where I would fit in.

It sounds like a nice job, they put you up in Rhode Island, and you make toys. But 3D is too exact, like math. You need to follow and copy reference to the exact spacifications, and thats just against my process.

It would have been a good path, actually a great path for anyone else. But it wasn't mine, I need to figure out how this zbrush work is going to come into play.

I have a new piece that I plan on building a complete sculpt and use that as reference for the drawing. So that might be a possible use for it. I'll post progress as soon as zbrush stops shitting on me.

deviantart

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:03 pm 
SPECIAL LEVEL ONE!

dude that sailor moon is gorgeous. can never get enough of your black and white work. GAH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:34 am 
Plank Walker

I don't really know what zbrush is, lol, but those look dope!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:13 pm 
Renegade Spaceman!!!

zombiezach - Thanks man! You know what pisses me off? I used a process for that piece I hadn't really used before. I kept building it up and breaking it back down and I think I redrew it atleast 4 or 5 times. So I don't remember exactly how I made it, but I do remember it was different... and it sucks because I really like it too.

I'm actually working on a frieza piece to attempt to recreate the same technique and style, I just have to learn to keep track of these things.

-BAM- Thanks man! It's actually a really cool and fun 3D modelling software. I recommend it to any of artistno matter what their style. You can start out with a simple ball, or stick figures, and just basically draw details in 3D. The possibilities are almost limitless to what you can create since they keep making it stronger and easier to use.

If you've ever wanted to try 3D and dont want to deal with the learning curve of Maya. Zbrush is the shit. You can probably teach yourself in a few months and have stuff at the same level. It really is just like drawing in 3D.

deviantart

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:45 pm 
Plank Walker

That sounds pretty great, I'm gonna have to try it out sometime. Thanks for the info!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:30 pm 
Renegade Spaceman!!!

No prob!

Here's some sketches from last night. I went up to St. Pete with is like 30 mins from my place, and found out they have a baddddd assssss art scene. They have a drink and draw at this bar called Sake Bomb every wednesday, if any of you peoples are in the area.

I haven't really sketched in a loooong time, it felt good, real good. I want to try and find a balance between loose and clean, and fun and technical. It'll take lots of practice.

deviantart

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:20 pm 
Renegade Spaceman!!!

I really liked that bar sketch from the other night so I decided to throw some color on it and play with some colors.

I want to start incorporating my graphic design work and style with my regular art style.

For work since I work with a lot of designs, logos, graphics and t-shirt stuff for screen printing. Everything has to be really graphic and clean.

Which happens to be the opposite of my style when I draw. My favorite process is letting everything get as messy and nuts as possible then go in and clean it up, mess it up, clean it up. But that is very time intensive. Not good for clients and deadlines.

So for work I've developed a bunch of processes that involve, vectorizing, posterizing, cleaning, blurring, levels, stripes, half-tones and every kind of design trick, element, filter I have in my arsenal. Basically the end result of dealing with horrible, blurry, shaky jpegs that need to be cleaned up and thrown on screens and not wanting to waste an hour redrawing it.

I haven't used many of those tricks in my own drawings... yet. Since I would use them only when I want to "cheat" at work. But, now that I think about it, it's not really cheating, just using the tools and tricks at your disposable to get the end result you want.

So I'll be experimenting a lot more. Bust out some bar sketches, filter the crap out of the and clean them up, see what works what doesn't.

Hip hop, djs and electronic musicians get to remix and do all this wild stuff with their music and songs, throwing different effects and beats, where one song can be taken and become 15 different amazing versions. Each version isn't any thing less, just different, sometimes better. I like that mentality and I think digital artists have the same ability. I mean we've all remixed and sampled our own version of batman, pokemon, street fighter and all kinds of pop culture characters. But I want to get wilder.

Hip hop, dubstep and the way all those artists collaborate and make and spread their music is very fascinating to me. Visual artists have the same power, but musicians are just so much flashier and cooler with theirs, throwing concerts and playing in clubs. But we can match them, as galleries get younger and cooler, with their parties being bigger events, things are changing. One day we'll all be on the VMA's with Rihanna and all those artists side by side, I guarantee it haha

deviantart

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:26 pm 
Plank Walker

Awesome inks/linework! Digging the hair on the first piece especially.
Oh, and now colors! Very nice. I like your thought process about the remix concept too.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:05 pm 
Renegade Spaceman!!!

-BAM- Thanks man!

An interesting thing about the colors came up when i showed them to a friend that I forgot to mention about the dub girls piece as well. I notice I've been finding seperate color scheme that appeal to me, but they seem to be appealing to a specific part of me, almost like a Rorschach test, and it makes sense since colors are very psychological.

So when I showed my friend both she couldn't decide which she liked best since she liked them both a lot, so I dug in a little deeper to see if my idea worked. And she liked the red and yellow, just because it's bold and it pops, there's a reason mcdonalds and lots of brands use yellow and red, it just pumps you. The purple appealed to another side, the sexy side, the night side that comes out. Purple, Pinks and neons.

I want to try and connect with the day to day side people have, but also the wild side that comes out when you're out partying and drinking, like the way certain songs just feel amazing when you're in a club with full bass on and everyone sweating and dancing, but then you hear the same song in the morning on the radio and you're like "meh".

The only thing that changed was you. Color is the most basic way to experiment with this for now, but it's gonna be a fun path, like ernest hemingway said "Write Drunk, Edit sober".

We've all got 2 sides, why not make art for both sides?

deviantart

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:08 pm 
Renegade Spaceman!!!

Here's some new piece for an upcoming gallery show I have here at a place called Artspace Anna Maria. It's called "Abstract Expressions" I'm trying to appeal to a more traditional florida market there where they love sunsets and bright colors, and they enjoy abstract stuff as well. But I wanted to put my own spin on it too, so I decided to experiment with street art style wheat-pasting my sharoie art onto abstract painting and fusing them together.

Basically they're fast fun and pretty easy, so i'm enjoying these.

The pics dont really do them justice, I need to figure how to use my fancy camera instead of my iphone...

And this is the new one I have in progress.

But it's fun process and I think I'll stick with it for a while, explore what I can get out of it.

deviantart

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:06 pm 
Plank Walker

These are a really cool concept, never would've thought of combining those things. Looks great!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:10 pm 
Renegade Spaceman!!!

-BAM- Thanks man! The show looks a bit different as a whole, the artist that owns the Artspace gallery was saying it feels almost like seeing a behind the scenes, like a before and after.

These are at the entrance and are the first thing you see, just show you the thinking and style behind the pieces.

And then we have the main ladies together.

i still need to make a poster, and print out some vinyl lettering to title the show. But, we'll see how they do.

I'm kinda hoping they don't sell because i do want to build up a huge series, because they are really fun to do. Also they're all 2 x 4 feet, so 20 or 50 of them would take up a pretty big space. That'll be the next step

deviantart

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:02 am 
BATTLE LEVEL: 2

Dude, your black and white work is glorious. That kaiju piece is dope. And the sailor moon i seriously love, probably moreso because of the subject material.
I'd love to see some of that same elegance of lineweight applied to your traditional pieces too.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:09 am 
Renegade Spaceman!!!

t-wei - Thanks! I actually have a piece coming up for a show dealing with anything taboo, sexual or controversial called #artdealwithit

And the piece I have in mind is exactly what you're talking about. I'm really going to do some delicate, intricate inking before I put it on the board and splash paint on it. That piece is going to be super sexy nasty though, I'm not gonna spoil it yet haha

deviantart

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:05 pm 

Dood I am stoked beyond words seeing you post back up in here. The Sailor Moon piece is absolutely brutal (HA!) but seriously, it's fucking awesome, love seeing your style translate over to that subject matter. The two chick piece is glorious as well.

The shirt design, i fucking love how the hair flows up. Ive done a bit of fashion design and it becomes a lot more complicated and expensive to get anything to roll up over the shoulders or over any seam break. I never thought about it until I tired it then it made perfect sense haha, DAMN THEM SEAMS!!!

And ZBRUSH!?! WHAAAAA!?!? It's awesome seeing your style work into that medium, I can see all the Suarez landmarks in there and that Bebop, totally love it.

And yah, I hear yah on what you learned about a gig with Hasbro. It'd be awesome for certain people, but definitely not for a lot of people, and it's good you were able to be honest with yourself about it because most people would jump at any art gig without really thinking it through. It would be a LOT of "do EXACTLY this" with the SUPER RARE instance of being able to flex your muscles a bit more. Any big corporate toy company will be like that. We're pretty lucky at Sideshow to have a lot of flexing and creative freedom until it comes to film accurate shit.

If you ever need any help with ZBrush dont hesitate to ask man. I teach an intro class in LA to working professionals (animators, costume designers, creature designers, make-up fx, traditional sculptors, etc) so Ive been all about teaching artist how to use the tool for a few years now, love it.

Great seeing new art form yah, and the fine-arts stuff looks fucking gorgeous. Id love to see that stuff in real life.

Great seeing yah pop in here again man, cant wait to see more.

DDF 2011 Thread

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:32 pm 
Renegade Spaceman!!!

Igo - Thanks man!

Yeah for the shirt, we still didn't make that particular design, it's a nice idea but we dont really want to figure out how to pull it off correctly just yet haha.

I'm new to fashion too, so I'm learnin along the way. Actually, out of the factory me and my friend just launched a side company called Hesher where were doing skateboards skins and apparel. http://www.hesherdecks.com/

I'm letting her take control of the creative direction and I'm trying to mainly be the muscle. Plus I've never really worked with an art director, so I wanna see what I can learn, also she has a really strong vision of what she wants, so pressure if off me.

Here's some samples

And I love zbrush, but my main issue is I dont really know what I would use any piece I make in it for. Unless I get into making my own casts, and that wont be for a while.

Sideshow though! OOOooof they would be killer to work for, those sculpts are gorgeous, I remember a few of those guys would post their work and personal stuff on the zbrush central forums all the time and it was always just jaw dropping. I might try to find a project to mix some zbrush back into the arsenal and I'll for sure head your way for tips!

Anyways there is some new art on the way, just gotta get life sorted out with product launches and shows popping up. It's exhausting pretending to be an adult...

anyways here's an unfinished Pacific Rim piece, I want the Blu Ray out so I can rewatch it and finish the piece!

deviantart

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:13 pm 
AIR GUITAR MASTER!!!

whoa, it's great to see people trying to many radically different things. also I agree with what you're saying about sampling and remixing - that's what all creative people are doing in some shape or form and there's absolutely no shame in it. Some people have very specific ideas about when and how much you're allowed to sample and use reference and that kind of thing, but honestly I don't see why anyone should care as long as you're not infringing on copyright or blatantly stealing another person's work in some way.
If I'm honest, I liked your old style better. It seemed unique to you, and like it was going interesting places. It was dark and visceral ... I dig your sailor moon piece, that one feels like you. but yeah it's great to try new things so just keep trucking I guess and I'm curious to see where it'll go.

DDF 2013 thread
DDF 2012 thread

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=5719

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:24 pm 
Renegade Spaceman!!!

Mara - To be honest I do love the sailor moon style the best, nut my problem with it is that its a pain in the ass sometimes, it takes so long and stresses me out. But, honestly I'm just being a baby because it's hard.

But I do have a piece I'm finishing up that is in that style, and those are the pieces that I do enjoy the most when they're DONE. But, while working on it, it's terrible, I just become super meticulous and obsessed, redrawing every tiny section hundreds of times until I found the right look. It's just a little unhealthy, but I'll find a way.

Maybe switching between meticulous inking, and fun abstract splatter will help keep me balanced. But you're right, i do like the older style better too haha

deviantart

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:05 am 
Renegade Spaceman!!!

Here's a little preview of the new piece!

deviantart

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:07 pm 
Renegade Spaceman!!!

Making a piece in honor of breaking bad.

still not sure exactly where I want to take it, I was thinking of simplifying it and making it blue with all the words in the back like the cowboy bebop intro, or I might just keep cleaning it up and figure out how to make it look like a poster. There's a lot of room to play with it from where it is now

deviantart

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:55 pm 
Renegade Spaceman!!!

Hit a bit of a wall with the breaking bad piece, I have a version with the final linework, and a grayscale one but none of them really have that OOMPH I'm looking for, so I found an unfinished piece to warm up on and finish instead.

She fits in with october as a Ghost Lake girl, I actually just wanted to draw a naked girl with cool hair.

I'll keep messing with walter, there's something missing and it's sooo close.

deviantart

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:30 pm 
Renegade Spaceman!!!

And there's this last piece, there's a big show coming up in st. pete http://stpetedarkarts.com/ and I really want to blow them away.

This was supposed to be a value study/sketch but I might actually finish it all the way. Next step is gridding it or projecting it onto a 2X4 piece of marker board, i'll do all the inking in sharpie, color and shading in acrylic, then details in oils.

I gotta go all out.

deviantart

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:36 pm 
Renegade Spaceman!!!

here's another warm up piece for the st pete dark arts show

I think I'm starting to remember how to do my digital inking, i was just a bit rusty

deviantart

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:49 pm 
Renegade Spaceman!!!

Here's a mock up of how I'm hoping the Dark Arts Piece will look. I'm doing it on marker board with sharpie

The show's gonna be at Station Numberthree in St Pete Florida if any of you are in the area. https://www.facebook.com/events/499326533488298/

deviantart

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:33 pm 
New Challenger!!!

Twitter: LMSarmiento
I really love your paintings, they look so spontaneous and fluid in a way. Your use of colors and lines is swell too.

Keep going, dude! I'll keep track of your art in dA too.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:32 pm 
Renegade Spaceman!!!

Twitter: nicterhorst
These are awesome. I have... nothing constructive to say other than keep doing more! I like all of them. Those paintings are crazy cool.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:58 pm 
Renegade Spaceman!!!

LMSarmiento - Thank you! I consciously tried to keep track of the time and energy I was putting in those paintings. I tried to keep them quick and fun, and stop myself at the earliest moment it felt done.

nichole Thanks! I try and keep hustling! It is about time to do another round of paintings I think.

So today I pulled an all-nighter finishing my piece for Dark Arts, I'll post pics of that one soon. But I was still juiced when I got into work so I decided to unload some of that energy.

I kinda switched gears on this one and turned on the opacity on my brush instead of stick to flat black and white. I was going for a more pencil feel, i guess.

Not sure which version I like more. Also Tank girl is pretty bad ass, I just started reading it. i feel like I missed out big time.

deviantart

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:14 pm 
BATTLE LEVEL: 5

Twitter: http://twitter.com/otoritopoit
Hello you badass ink-monster!

I got some input for the boob pressing ( the part where the boobs and the machine gun touch ) right now it looks too much like ''fake'' boobs, they're a bit too down, i did a drawover to explain better on that part

hope it helps, keep making such awesome work man

DDF2k11

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:29 am 
Renegade Spaceman!!!

bird - Yeah I feel you, I need to play with the boobs some more (heh) because another friend also mentioned that it would have to be a really wiiiiide gun to be squishing her boobs like that.

I was going for that hentai-looking super big, squishy, water balloon type boobs that are just really obscene, just for fun. I'll see if I can pull them off with some more work, if not I might change them into normal, nice boobs like she has in the comic.

deviantart

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:29 pm 
Renegade Spaceman!!!

Happy Halloween!

Just sketching and trying to get a feel for how to mix this painterly photoshop style with my inks. We'll see.

deviantart

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:14 am 
Graf Zeppelin

love that tank girl

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:39 pm 
Renegade Spaceman!!!

Thanks joejoejoejoe! Here's some more progress on her.

I guess I didn't really change anything in the boobs except make them shinier... they really are my favorite part though haha

deviantart

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:15 pm 

That latest tankgirl is whats up. Nice job on switching up the BG, fits alot nicer giving a stark contrast to the busy rendering of TG.

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:42 pm