event

prepare for battle in the arena!!!

• Bubbles
  • Tally
  • Updates
  • Discuss
  • Faq/Tips

discuss

feedback & discussion

Thu Jan 01st, 1970 12:00 am

Ladies and gentlemen, this is the Discuss thread! If you have any questions, suggestions, or diarrhoeic egestions, please post them all below. No question too dumb, no mountain too high!

Daily Draw February 2014

Welcome one and all, to Daily-Draw February 2014!

If you're completely new here, WELCOME! Do not be afraid of all the grizzled February veterans around these parts. That distant, shell-shocked gaze in their eyes is merely harmless psychological trauma after having witnessed years and years of horror and slaughter at the hands of these Februaries, heh:

The Rules

• For the month of February, every contestant must post at least one piece of art a day every single day of the month. That's 28 days.

• You can post sketches, sculptures, videos, anything creative, as long as you worked on it that day.

• You can work on a piece over multiple days, but you still have to post an updated work-in-progress shot each day.

• If you miss a day, there isn't TOO much shame in that, but there is HUGE shame (huge!) in posting 'old' sketches as your daily entry. The point of this challenge is to CREATE something every day (not merely to post something each day), so the piece MUST be new. A new stick-man is better than an old masterpiece.

• Crappy sketches are infinitely better than no sketches at all!

If you have been to SatelliteSoda before, you'll notice we have a new website! And you'll also notice YOUR AVATAR IS GONE! This new website uses a service called "Gravatar" to host everybody's avatars. In order to get an avatar, go to gravatar.com and click on "Create Your Own Gravatar". Note: In order for your avatar to show up on SatelliteSoda, you'll have to use the same e-mail address on both gravatar.com and SatelliteSoda.

Lastly, we'll be using a collective #DDF2014 tag on all that social media stuff. So if you want to connect with SatelliteSoda members on other platforms (Twitter/Tumblr/anything), use that tag! These things are really only useful if we all agree to use the same tag.

Welcome EVERYBODY!
...Sign up in this thread?

Thu Jan 01st, 1970 12:00 am

FIRST DAMNIT!

Thu Jan 01st, 1970 12:00 am

Is this a thread now?

Edit: Yay, edits work!  Also, SECOND.

Thu Jan 01st, 1970 12:00 am

I'm your man

Sat Jan 25th, 2014 5:40 pm

Brandon, yeah, kinda... we're calling them "bubbles" this just happens to be one that lives somewhere unique.

Neil, xoxo

Thu Jan 01st, 1970 12:00 am

Cool, I'm in again,

Sun Jan 26th, 2014 3:15 am

I'm so iiiin!

Thu Jan 01st, 1970 12:00 am

Alright, giving this another shot after failing to complete my first attempt last year.

Thu Jan 01st, 1970 12:00 am

Here's a question:
I chose my timezone according to where I live, but since I'm most likely gonna be doing this after work late at night, the midnight 'deadline' is likely to screw up my daily posts. Would it be preferable to pick a different timezone? Like say, one where my 3am would be the midnight deadline?

Sat Jan 25th, 2014 5:19 am

Yeah, that's totally cool. Eventually I'll have to figure out something better than this workaround but it's effective for now so we're sticking with it.

_________________

Great work tends to grow out of ideas that others have overlooked, and no idea is so overlooked as one that's unthinkable.

Mon Jan 27th, 2014 9:37 am

Hiii everyone.  I'm a noob.  I hope this is as much fun as I'm hyping it up to be.  I'm sure there will be days that I am not eager to post stuff, but... IT SHALL BE DONE, through inevitable blood, sweat and tears.  Nice to meet you all.  :)

Mon Jan 27th, 2014 4:20 pm

Inevitable blood sweat and tears is what I was made for, Babays. Bring on this ruckus of a shenanigan!

Mon Jan 27th, 2014 11:01 am

I'm ready for this. Driving back to Georgia, from Florida the night before isn't going to wreck my first day! Bring it Daily Draw! I'm ready for you!

Mon Jan 27th, 2014 12:46 pm

My body is ready.

Mon Jan 27th, 2014 1:22 pm

@br3nna - It is fun, especially if you make it to the end. Very rewarding too and you get to look at everyone else's awesome art. It's really a win win situation.

@puddlefisher - Ohh you better back that statement up. ;) I'll hold you to it.

@suirad12 - It better be, it can turn out to be a hell of an endurance challenge.

Mon Jan 27th, 2014 1:26 pm

Hell yes.

Mon Jan 27th, 2014 1:28 pm

Awesome Pac, you're back! Loved your stuff from last year, can't wait to see what you come up with this time.

Mon Jan 27th, 2014 8:57 pm

Can't wait to give this a go, should be exciting.

Mon Jan 27th, 2014 11:06 am

I'm In doggies lets wreck it!

Mon Jan 27th, 2014 11:08 am

Oh btw I'm digging the color pallets under the picture uploads. Not sure what its purpose is but its pretty dope non the less!

Mon Jan 27th, 2014 6:12 pm

Actually the color palettes where inspired by pac23's images last year. Thought it'd be nice to have something akin to that. Was also going to try and see if we can generate .aco color palette files for each image so you could just download a color palette you like and import into PS.

Mon Jan 27th, 2014 11:56 pm

Newbie here, hello!

Tue Jan 28th, 2014 1:40 pm

Aaawww Yis! Let it begin!

Tue Jan 28th, 2014 8:26 am

Awesome, glad you're back man, really looking forward to see what you do this year!

Tue Jan 28th, 2014 12:10 pm

what is this

Tue Jan 28th, 2014 7:11 am

OKAY, I'm in! Doing the same as mr Fear, changing my time zone, since if the last two times were anything to go by midnight isn't really giving myself quite enough time...

Looking forwards to it!

Tue Jan 28th, 2014 7:19 pm

Sexeh!

Tue Jan 28th, 2014 10:35 am

that's right I'm in it!

Tue Jan 28th, 2014 4:52 pm

I'm your huckleberry.

So this year there is no need to make a forum post for your stuff since the bubbles will have comments attached?

Tue Jan 28th, 2014 11:25 pm

Hi there everybody!

Tue Jan 28th, 2014 11:26 pm

I'm in!

Tue Jan 28th, 2014 6:44 pm

Tue Jan 28th, 2014 3:46 pm

Whoooa this looks so different from last year.

Tue Jan 28th, 2014 6:55 pm

Holy sign-ups BRUCE WAYNE!

Tue Jan 28th, 2014 7:28 pm

whoa this new site layout is CRAZY COOL - gj Spyder (I assume?)

Tue Jan 28th, 2014 11:13 pm

Thanks Dan, really appreciate it. Pretty sure I'm gonna learn something from all this by the end of the month and make the site even better still.

Wed Jan 29th, 2014 12:26 am

Been lurkin', gone postin'.

Tue Jan 28th, 2014 11:30 pm

Consider me down for the 3rd year in a row.

Tue Jan 28th, 2014 11:43 pm

@pogue  - Nope. This year there isn't a need to make a post in the forums. All you have to do is upload images and that's it. The images have the comments relating to that particular image so it's less of a mess that way.

Wed Jan 29th, 2014 1:29 am

This should be fun. Good luck Everyone

Wed Jan 29th, 2014 10:57 am

Im in! :D

Wed Jan 29th, 2014 9:24 am

I'm back for a third year! Hopefully this will give me the inspirational push I need. It always does : )

Wed Jan 29th, 2014 12:16 pm

My first year trying this out. I wanna go for it.

Wed Jan 29th, 2014 10:28 am

Another newbie here. This sounded like a good challenge, so I'm going to try and stick to it and hopefully not wreck my entire month's schedule. Excited to see everyone's art, hope it's a great month!

Wed Jan 29th, 2014 12:41 pm

Dig the new system and look. You guys went above and beyond this year.

Wed Jan 29th, 2014 1:19 pm

This is a pretty wicked version of the site. VERY impressive. I like it a lot!
I guess we sign up here? I'm in for 2014!

Wed Jan 29th, 2014 8:30 pm

@Osorio, @Cognoman and all the others that works on the site. You guys outdid yourselves with the new site. Kudos!

Thu Jan 30th, 2014 9:53 am

I AM AWN THIS! AW YEAH!
(also this new website is confusing IAMSOCONFUSED)

Wed Jan 29th, 2014 4:46 pm

Igo - "What's the theme man?" Feb 01 2012.
D_Murdoch - "
I got some shit in the basement I need to get out so this could get ugly, is the theme this month." Feb 01 2012
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
D_Murdoch - "
Yeah this is gonna get darker. Explicit. Then I'm gonna get it published." Feb 03 2012
CogNoman - "
You say the plan is to publish these? On paper? Curious to see how this one'll turn out." Feb 04 2012
So, I was entirely absent for Daily Draw 2013, but my plan for 2012 evolved and evolved and evolved and became something called The Sum. A 16 track industrial, instrumental album that will be available this February. Hopefully, on the 28th as I've requested, it may be sooner. But either way, I have opted for a February release because it was during Daily Draw 2012 when the whole thing really started coming to life. I'm definitely in for 2014. It'll be a chance for me to visit some demons. Personal goal, create some pieces that really push technique and subject matter. And yes I am shamelessly plugging the album so when it's out, buy the fucking thing. So, Mr. CogNoman, that is how it turned out.

Wed Jan 29th, 2014 10:22 pm

let's do this again!

Wed Jan 29th, 2014 5:39 pm

David, once Conor reads that post Im gonna have to get into it with him again about allowing / not allowing music to be posted… THANKS DICK!

Wed Jan 29th, 2014 7:43 pm

No, I'm not doing any music for DDF, just pictures. The album is done done done. I was just letting him know how it turned out. 2 years later.

Wed Jan 29th, 2014 11:12 pm

How do you register on this new thingamajig? AAAAH!

Wed Jan 29th, 2014 11:26 pm

@wkobra If you're posting, you're already registered. To upload images, all you have to do is use the upload button at the top.

Thu Jan 30th, 2014 3:07 am

Just noticed a bunch of the posts in this thread say they were created on "Jan 1st 1970". So if anybody knows what retirement home Neil, Brando(n) and Iam Fear are currently living in, please go wake those senior citizens up! Because after 44 LONG YEARS, the moment those guys have literally been waiting their entire lives for is FINALLY about to happen!  (Don't f*ck it up now guys!)(heh)

Welcome ALL! Welcome to the new people here! That Bubble board out there looks like it's ever-so-slowly filling up with awesome compadres. With the crazy new layout this year, we're definitely off to a unique start, but it's good to see everybody familiarizing themselves, readying their bubbles for the road ahead.

So if you haven't uploaded a test image yet, do so! Test the site! Break the site! Break all its bones! If you see a bug, chances are we probably already know about it, but it certainly doesn't hurt to mention it here in the Discuss thread to make sure-sure we know it.

Apart from that, remember to check the FAQ for info on how to get an avatar and set your time zone - and if you have any questions, PLEASE do post them here! This site is totally new for all of us, so anything that's confusing for you is almost certainly confusing for a lot of other people too. And it's almost *definitely* confusing for 70-year-olds like Neil, Brando(n) and Iam Fear. When those guys last posted on this site, floppy disks hadn't even been invented yet.

2 (1?) more sleeps to go until no more sleeps... get those zzzes in now!

Thu Jan 30th, 2014 3:55 am

@RVDW: Thanks sir - the old forums were, ya know, mildly insane, so credit to the SS crew for being willing to experiment to hopefully create a smoother experience. Igo's been heavily involved, and John Neumann (the fella who built the uploader and the Mega-Gallery in previous Februaries) was instrumental in getting the whole thing off the ground, but the brunt of the heavy lifting has fallen on to Raul (Osorio), who I suspect hasn't actually slept in weeks, heh. And yeah, gotta say, after seeing the kinds of things that programmers like yourself, Osorio and John Neumann can build... definitely inspires a person to want to become a programmer! The site isn't finished yet, but definitely, if you ever have suggestions, we're totally open to 'em.

@D_Murdoch & Igo: Hahah... yes, I remember that image well. I remember it essentially being a pure black square with the creepiest, slowest image reveal ever, heh. Pretty sure I'll know which song is its song merely by measuring the involuntary urine content in me pants (minus my daily average content). As for music, heh, I was actually secretly hoping you would post music this year, 'cause I've been considering making a song every day myself this time around (of course, I have no idea how to actually *make* music... but what better time is there to fail publicly at something than right now, heh...).

And THANKS Murdoch for making  that g-lamb-orous lambzilla picture at the top of the thread! You deserve many acc-lamb-ations and c-lamb-y handshakes for your work. Seriously, I now have a whole document dedicated to these types of "lamb-e puns", which I b-lamb-e you for!

Thu Jan 30th, 2014 5:25 am

Day 28 will be a video, with music.

Thu Jan 30th, 2014 8:29 am

Have been looking forward to this for a while! So in XD

Thu Jan 30th, 2014 9:34 am

FEBRUARY. Yes. I'm in. :)

Thu Jan 30th, 2014 12:50 pm

I'm so in the year.

Fri Jan 31st, 2014 2:35 am

I'm in.

Thu Jan 30th, 2014 3:11 pm

Round 2: DRAW! Can't wait for this madness to start. :D

Thu Jan 30th, 2014 4:44 pm

I'm in back for year 2

Thu Jan 30th, 2014 2:59 pm

I'm in. Hope it's not too late.

Thu Jan 30th, 2014 2:02 pm

@Osorio

Thats dope! I figured as much but didn't want to come to any assumptions. Great look and feel can't wait to get started....

Thu Jan 30th, 2014 5:16 pm

I am both excited and confused by this change. I'm most definitely down though.

Thu Jan 30th, 2014 2:32 pm

hi. i'd like to join please. thanks ♥

p.s.

how do i edit my sig like Osorio and Connor?

Thu Jan 30th, 2014 6:30 pm

Hello again!

Thu Jan 30th, 2014 7:09 pm

I'm in 100%

Lee "Arnie-Sketch" Dixon

Fri Jan 31st, 2014 10:26 am

Hey @CogNoman,
I saw you noticed the weird text being cut off for me in @Sketchyfun's bear test post, just thought that I'd reiterate here that I'm having trouble with quotation marks and apostrophes..
when I posted again on that picture forward slashes appeared next to my apostrophes... and when I used quotation marks to surround a quote, it deleted most of the quote upon posting...
(not sure if my apostrophes in this post are working until I post it!)

Fri Jan 31st, 2014 10:28 am

looks like they are back slashes not forward slashes.. but there they are again! Other people seem to be able to apostrophize!!!

""" ' '' '''

Thu Jan 30th, 2014 7:50 pm

Yea, I'm also experiencing some minor bugs with commenting. Though a quick edit does resolve the issue.
Also, the 'menu' tab at the top of the page is static for me.

Thu Jan 30th, 2014 7:20 pm

I'm in!
No apostrophes for me.
And only one sentence at a time, apparently.
Therefore wow this new site is hard to navigate where can I modify my account profile avatar etc?

Fri Jan 31st, 2014 6:10 am

February is here for some of us so we've wiped out everything like we've promised and we're starting fresh. This time it's for keeps guys and girls. :]

Fri Jan 31st, 2014 6:35 am

@sankam - We're working on it. And try to edit your comment instead of writing multiple comments. ;)

Fri Jan 31st, 2014 7:57 am

@Hannakin - We noticed it too and it seems it's to be based on a somewhat buggy commenting box. I'll quickly be switching it out so that it's easier to comment and anything around here. Keep an eye out for that, it should be coming out later tonight.

Fri Jan 31st, 2014 4:59 am

And there it goes, whoa. The moon just struck Midnight in New Zealand.

Like Osorio mentioned, all the testing bubbles on this baby have been scrubbed off, and this robot baby is eagerly checking out its freshly-cleaned skin in the mirror.

Little does it know it's about to get its very first bubble-pimple...

So take a deep breath, get yourself a jug of acne cream... and relax, dear robot. Things are about to get quite pimply up in here.

As always, first posts are due by the *end* of Feb 1st according to the time zone you've selected in your forum profile (Do that HERE!). Good luck, godspeed and godSTRENGTH!

Fri Jan 31st, 2014 8:01 am

ihearthorchata - The sigs and all that will be readily available to all to edit and mess with during this weekend. Have to make sure it mostly works before rolling it out.

Fri Jan 31st, 2014 5:22 am

@Hanna, @somni, @Sankam: Thanks very much for the heads-up! Yeah, like Osorio mentioned, the commenting is definitely being worked on for the good of all humankind.

@Somni: Yeah, the "Menu" button is a static button at the moment as the focus has been more on site functionality rather than the Menu functions. When the more basic functions are ready for it, that menu will get its moment to shine.

@Sankam: To edit your profile, for the moment, the best way is to update your profile on the old forum, HERE.To change your time zone, go HERE. To edit your avatar, check the post at the top of this thread (we're using a service called "gravatar.com" to host avatars this year - you'll need to upload your avatar there). All of these functions will be integrated in to this new site, but at the moment, there's some higher priorities (site navigation, etc).

As far as site navigation goes, we're completely on the same page. A "jump to next bubble" button (so you can smoothly go skimming from post-to-post through everybody's posts) is in the works, along with a number of other features with the goal of helping people use the site efficiently. Just gotta implement them one-by-one. Thanks again for the look-out, Sank-

@ihearthorchata: Oni!!! What Osorio said, heh... also, I think you might actually be the first person to post a heart on the board without it glitching. You've broken through. Magic. You're like the 5th Planeteer...

Fri Jan 31st, 2014 11:37 am

i'm in

Fri Jan 31st, 2014 9:21 am

It's already effing February.... lord save the new born children.

Fri Jan 31st, 2014 11:54 pm

Rightie o. I'm in.

Fri Jan 31st, 2014 12:59 pm

Awesome. Just remember that you can't have any more test images. February started for some and I'll just delete anything that isn't part of the event.

Fri Jan 31st, 2014 1:11 pm

Pumped to see a lot of familiar names and a lot of new ones!
IT IS (ALMOST) FEBRUARY
EXCITEMENT 1000

Fri Jan 31st, 2014 7:16 pm

Second year DDF, ah, the funs and stress to be had

Fri Jan 31st, 2014 7:18 pm

Yeah, I'm in!

Fri Jan 31st, 2014 10:25 am

That main board feels like the eye of the storm right now. Very unnerving silence.

Something out there is brewing... somewhere...

Welcome to the mausoleum all-

Fri Jan 31st, 2014 12:51 pm

I already smothered my children...

Fri Jan 31st, 2014 1:37 pm

@Cognoman - heh, actually the "less than 3" heart didn't post properly so i edited it and copied and pasted a heart symbol from teh googlez. my magic is a LIE.

also, couchmonaut is the dopest name.

Fri Jan 31st, 2014 2:59 pm

I am excited for this battle!! :)

Fri Jan 31st, 2014 6:02 pm

SO IN AND READY TO ROCK! MISS YOU GUYS

Fri Jan 31st, 2014 3:29 pm

DB, glad you're back man, ROBOTS ABOUND!?!

Fri Jan 31st, 2014 7:33 pm

yo yoooo wadup. im joining this brehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Fri Jan 31st, 2014 4:00 pm

Late to the party but I'm in.

Fri Jan 31st, 2014 4:39 pm

I'm not an old man, I'm a time traveler.

Is the date glitch fixed? Let's see...

Fri Jan 31st, 2014 4:41 pm

Seems to be fine now!
I'm also getting the backslash apostrophe glitch when I post, but that one fixes itself whenever I refresh the page.

Fri Jan 31st, 2014 8:22 pm

Seconddd timeee! I'm readddy!
Whee, exciteeeddd! :D

Fri Jan 31st, 2014 6:59 pm

@cognoman Thanks for the heads up!  Sorry I did not think to edit the post.  I think I'm squared away for the gravatar as well, it's showing up on my profile page at least.

Fri Jan 31st, 2014 11:10 pm

:D I'm in! I had to bow out halfway through last year so I'm excited to make streaker status this time around

Sat Feb 01st, 2014 1:53 pm

For those that don't know what to draw for the day, try ConceptArtSessions.com! It's a cool site that provides you random words to base your art around. And if you upload it within the time limit you set you can also get feedback and other good stuff.

It's one of my favorite sites at the moment, and how I plan to make most of my DDF work. :D

Sat Feb 01st, 2014 3:37 pm

I'm in, collaborating with 'Meer'

Sat Feb 01st, 2014 10:22 am

Here we go!

And lookie here I can edit!

Sat Feb 01st, 2014 3:52 pm

So folks. Anybody doing a theme this year?

Sat Feb 01st, 2014 3:55 pm

So… my avatar is all Mr. Blankface… how do we change the avatar? Either it's a fine day to be stupid or…

Sat Feb 01st, 2014 3:56 pm

NEVVVVERRRRR MIND, Saw Conor's post~ Ignore me. It IS a fine day to be stupid, indeed.

Sat Feb 01st, 2014 5:23 pm

YEEEEEAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!

Sat Feb 01st, 2014 7:55 pm

I just want to say that this is all very awesome and still very confusing to me. BUT I'M GAME.

Sat Feb 01st, 2014 7:59 pm

I'm new to this but it looks like a fun challenge. I'm sticking with a theme of mythical creatures since that's my current obsession!

Sat Feb 01st, 2014 9:12 pm

I guess I should sign up or something?

Sat Feb 01st, 2014 11:06 pm

1 of 30 down

Sun Feb 02nd, 2014 12:13 am

I'm def in...posted one, but i think my timezone is wrong bc its 11pm here and says i posted at 12am on the 2nd...? i have it on eastern standard...im in brooklyn...am i crazy?

Sat Feb 01st, 2014 9:31 pm

That's day one done and I'm pooped already! Heaven knows what I'll look like by the end of this...

Sat Feb 01st, 2014 9:33 pm

I forgot to ask, is there any way to edit your profile? I'm a newbie round these here parts and the menu link at the header doesnt seem to work for me. Aaand Ive already learned to not use commas, hehehe

Sun Feb 02nd, 2014 12:40 am

ok sign me up

Sun Feb 02nd, 2014 12:06 am

THIS
IS
SPArrrtellite SODA!!

rAwr!
(weeps to self)

Sat Feb 01st, 2014 11:14 pm

Thanks for the reminder message Cog! Totally would've been lost without it haha. Everything looks so sleek! Can't wait to check out all these fancy new features more :) And the tally looks awesome, you guys always work so hard, I hope you know it's totally appreciated!

Sat Feb 01st, 2014 11:18 pm

EzJedi - I believe you can edit your profile here http://satellitesoda.com/phpBB3/ucp.php?i=165

Sat Feb 01st, 2014 10:42 pm

@CogNoman and or @Osorio: we senior citizens are living in the good ol' epoch timestamp value of "0", which happens to line up with Jan 1st 1970, in case anyone's still curious on that one, my guess is the timestamp isn't getting populated or something.

Sun Feb 02nd, 2014 1:38 am

It actually was caused by my tampering with some code and it reset your comment time stamps. As you can tell, it's ok now with the exception of those first comments.

I knew it was the issue all along since that's the consequence of working on the site while it's live.

Sun Feb 02nd, 2014 12:58 am

I'M SUPER PUMPED!! But kind of sad because my first post didn't make the first day ;n; I guess the site's time is a little faster than my

Sun Feb 02nd, 2014 11:23 am

Sooo... I'm new 'round these here parts, and since I can't draw I decided to throw in some photos instead... anyone else doing that?

Sun Feb 02nd, 2014 6:09 am

258 images on day one!

You guys and girls should be proud of yourselves, you're awesome!

Sun Feb 02nd, 2014 10:38 pm

Not sure this is the best place to post my dumb problems, but my day #2 post didn't show up in the main page, or the "bubbles" format. Its there in my profile and the tally format though. I don't mind, but just in case its happening to other way radder dudes and dudettes, I'd hate to miss out on any awesome arts!

Sun Feb 02nd, 2014 7:49 am

Didn't notice that either until late in the game. I'm working on a fix right now though for that. And in case you want to see the stream of images as they come, here's this page: http://satellitesoda.com/ddf/2014/overall/

It's not perfectly formatted but it's showing everything! :]

*This will be completely integrated into the site as well soon enough.

Sun Feb 02nd, 2014 4:15 pm

I can't believe how amazing everyone is... ;o;

Sun Feb 02nd, 2014 3:16 pm

i would like to join in this event again this year. it was awesome how much feed back i got last year and i have applied it to my work over the year. i cant wait to see what ya'll think this year.

Sun Feb 02nd, 2014 9:25 pm

Hey, guys? Not sure if this is the right place to put this, or if I should message someone, buuuut I just uploaded something in the nick of time, only realise my clock was set wrong (it was supposed to be GMT, except DST was on so it was an hour ahead). So now the tally thing shows a day 2 miss and a day 3 upload.

Is there any chance this could be fixed? (I've changed my time settings now anyway, so I get a couple more hours after midnight because I mostly draw at night, but tally is still the same)

It's not a big deal at all, it's okay if it's impossible/too much work to change, but I'm kinda of sad that I inadvertently got a fail in my tally this early on, ahah :'D

(Oh, and by the way, excellent system, I love everything new you implemented this year. Great work, guyssss)

Sun Feb 02nd, 2014 7:30 pm

Yeah, not a problem man, I'll get that fixed shortly.

Sun Feb 02nd, 2014 9:32 pm

Osorio! Never mind my last comment, I just uploaded it again after changing my time settings, that fixed it! (doh) But thank you so much anyway :)

(also deleted original post so I don't get an unfair day 3)

Sun Feb 02nd, 2014 5:54 pm

@Sketchtastrophe - thanks a lot, that's a big help ;)

Mon Feb 03rd, 2014 12:13 am

Hello, I just posted and it said that the time that I posted was 12:04am but here where I am it was 11:04pm. Im within the Eastern Time Zone. Can somebody help me out ?

Mon Feb 03rd, 2014 12:26 am

I have the same issue about the time zone being wrong. I twas definitely only 11 when I posted and not after midnight and I'm in the Eastern Timezone.

Sun Feb 02nd, 2014 11:40 pm

@norvis - It's possible you haven't adjusted the daylight savings time option. I've noticed it to be the ongoing issue.

Sun Feb 02nd, 2014 11:59 pm

Hello, it seems that something uploaded my second-day drawing twice, and I'm not sure if it's the same thing or what has actually happened so I'm kind of scared of deleting one of them o_o;;. what if they were actually the same drawing or something oh god what' going on.

Mon Feb 03rd, 2014 1:09 am

Anyone else getting logged out every 3 minutes?

Sun Feb 02nd, 2014 11:50 pm

I actually managed to at least look at everyone's stuff so far. I'm feeling rather accomplished. Also, you guys all rock

Mon Feb 03rd, 2014 1:50 am

@qinni - If you have multiple images, it's ok to delete the duplicate. Did you press the submit button more than once? I know that was an issue sometimes when testing.

@cytosisx - I've had it log me out occasionally after 30 min or so but not 3 though. That's the first I hear of that.

Mon Feb 03rd, 2014 5:14 am

Made it easier to go through all the images uploaded so you don't miss a thing this whole month. Just go to http://satellitesoda.com/ddf/2014/main/ and navigation links are at the bottom.

Mon Feb 03rd, 2014 8:12 am

I'm new to this, and just heard about it, so I've already missed two days! Oh well, looking forward to joining in. Hi guys. Impressive postings

Mon Feb 03rd, 2014 3:02 pm

What I want to know is how to change the lil tag line above my user name haha.

Mon Feb 03rd, 2014 12:17 pm

I'm not sure if this has been reported before, but the tooltip style drop down menus for the "Daily Draw" and "Elsewhere" buttons across the top have been broken for me for a couple of days. This seems to be isolated to Chrome on Windows, possibly even only Chrome on Windows 8.1. I've had a friend running OSX try it out, and it worked fine for her. I also tried it out in Firefox, and it worked fine.

Basically, when you hover over the button, the menu shows up, but as soon as you move your mouse down to the menu, it disappears before you have the chance to click on any of the links. I wonder if it's a problem with the Tipped JS library you're using?

Mon Feb 03rd, 2014 10:11 pm

Oh shit, that hasn't been working for me since the beginning and I never thought to switch the browser. I was wondering how the whole following system worked. Now that I'm using Firefox for the DailyDraw it's a whole new world!

DDF 2013
TUMBLR

Mon Feb 03rd, 2014 3:33 pm

i'm late!!! woo!!! but i'm only in for a few days since i'm gonna be traveling with slim to no chance of internets....

Mon Feb 03rd, 2014 10:55 pm

I was wondering if it would be possible to fix my tally. I messed up my timezone and it threw off my tally by a day. If not, it's no big deal, it's mostly just for the visual of seeing the pictures on the right days for me.

Tue Feb 04th, 2014 12:36 am

@Uncomfortable - Wasn't aware that was an issue actually. I'm on chrome/win7 so hadn't noticed that issue myself. Not sure if it's a win8 issue. Thanks for bringing it up, I will look into it.

Tue Feb 04th, 2014 12:41 am

@NeonJax - Just let me know when you uploaded the images and I'll fix that up as soon as possible.

Wed Feb 05th, 2014 1:10 am

Nooo... my newest picture has been counted for tomorrow because of wrong or so. T.T
I thought I changed it to the right one... and why can't access the menu?

Tue Feb 04th, 2014 8:35 pm

So I uploaded my Day 2 at 11:30pm EST, but it says it was an hour ahead. My profile says I'm set on Eastern Standard Time so I have no idea why it's adding an hour to my time. Is there any way to fix those or am I screwed?

Tue Feb 04th, 2014 10:47 pm

It was my Day 3 image and it was uploaded at 11:14 pm.

EDIT: I should be a little more clear. It's titled Day 02 but it's in as my day 3. My actual day 3 image doesn't show because of the previous one.

Tue Feb 04th, 2014 10:09 pm

@jasonsweeney:  Hi jason - yep, we corrected the late day. There is an issue with some time zones being one hour off due to Daylight Savings Time, so make sure to click the "Summer time/DST" option on your time zone edit screen if that's the case for you. To make EXTRA SURE that your time is the the time that you actually want it to be, look at the clock at the top-right of that page. (Unfortunately, we had to use that old antiquated forum clock to get the site up and running as quickly as possible, but this will definitely all be simplified as soon as we get the chance.)

@EzJedi: Yep, Sketchtastrophe already mentioned it (thanks for the help, Sketch), but if you want to edit your profile info, click here. To edit your time zone, go here.

@Gristle: There's at least a couple of you shutterbugs pioneering that new trail... have you seen ScrappedFilm yet?

Tue Feb 04th, 2014 10:15 pm

@pogues: Those taglines are currently tied to how many posts a person has on the old forum. (The SS guys are nostalgic critters so wanted to keep some ties to the past on the new site for now, heh.) As you create posts on that forum, your tagline changes. So if you really want to change your tagline, just hop in this time machine and make some posts over there. Maybe say hello to all the friendly bots who've since moved in...

@Uncomfortable: Thanks for mentioning this, Un. I've been using Chrome myself and never noticed this. If the tooltips aren't showing up, it could be something to do with Windows 8 (is anybody else here using Chrome on Windows 8? Do you see the pop-up tooltip boxes?), but it could also mean you have an extension installed in Chrome that's blocking all scripts (the tooltips run on Javascript). Not sure at this point, but we've added it to our list of notes; will investigate, Holmes.

@Neonjax: Yep, we'll fix that. A few other people had an issue with their time zone being one hour off due to Daylight Savings, so no worries. The time zone selection process will be simplified - but for now, if you want to change your time zone, go here. To double-check that the time is the correct time, look at the clock at the top-right of that page.

Tue Feb 04th, 2014 10:19 pm

@kasF: To "Follow" a participant, click on the user's avatar. You'll then see a big "Follow" button on that user's profile. After you've clicked it, hover your mouse over the "daily draw" tab at the top of the screen and a pop-up menu will appear, showing a list of all the users you're following. This will all be made more easily accessible/obvious soon enough. And if it isn't working for you (somebody above said they couldn't see the Follow option because they were using Chrome on Windows 8), plz let us know...

@johkar: Hey joh - I believe you're the first person here to say that you accidentally have 'too many' days on the tally, heh. That's actually a good thing! The Menu hasn't gone live yet because there were some more essential functions that needed to be focused on first. It shall come.

@seandockery: If your time zone is one hour off from what you think it should be, it could be because the "Daylight Savings Time" option wasn't clicked. Check your time zone here to see if that's the case (look for the "Summer Time/DST" option on the screen). To double-check that the time is the proper time, look at the clock at the top-right of that page. Glad to have you here, sir-

Wed Feb 05th, 2014 3:20 am

I have a question about file editing, I tried editing one of my posts to swap out a new file in its place. I'm not sure if I'm blind or not, but I wasn't able to find an option for that. Is there one at all or are we playing hardcore?

(Apologies if this question was already asked/addressed).

Wed Feb 05th, 2014 9:01 am

CogNoman,

That fixed it! Thanks! It looks like my tally was fixed for day 2. I appreciate it.

Wed Feb 05th, 2014 9:28 am

I will try accessing the site from win8 machine tonight after I get home and let you know if I have the same problem. I haven't updated to 8.1 yet though.

Wed Feb 05th, 2014 11:41 am

@somni - Hardcore! Seriously though there is a good chance this could change in the future.

Wed Feb 05th, 2014 11:34 pm

Oh, a place for words...

Words, words, words.

Wed Feb 05th, 2014 11:14 pm

@CogNoman:

The issue isn't that the tooltip isn't showing up - it appears, but as soon as you move your mouse down to access the links inside the tooltip, it disappears. It seems like a pretty straight forward problem, perhaps there's a little bit of space between the button (daily draw or elsewhere), but when I checked using the chrome dev tools, everything seemed aligned pretty snugly. Not sure which element is firing the event that hides the tooltip though. Is there any particular reason though to rely on tipped instead of just writing a simple drop down menu system in a couple lines? If you're only using it for that particular bit of functionality, it seems a lot like hammering a nail with a bazooka. But then, I guess you guys have a lot on your plates, and if it saves time, it's probably worth it.

Fri Feb 07th, 2014 9:34 am

Hi! I was just wondering...7 days in... if its too late to start? I only just found out about it :/

Thu Feb 06th, 2014 11:00 pm

Never too late to join in on the action.

Fri Feb 07th, 2014 12:10 am

Hi! So for day 6, my image posted 3 times.... how do I fix that?

Fri Feb 07th, 2014 12:03 am

Dang, accidentally got overzealous with the submit button and now there's three versions of tonight's upload clogging up the feed.  I saw above that it's possible to delete them but I can't figure out how.  Suggestions?

*edit: Ah, got it.  You have to do it through the alphacore uploader of course, not through SatelliteSoda.  Fixed.

Fri Feb 07th, 2014 12:07 am

@wkobra - Go to the uploader and look for the 'uploaded' section.  From there you can edit/delete images.  The url for that for me was: http://satellitesoda.com/sodapop/moon-juice/admin/uploaded.php

Fri Feb 07th, 2014 11:31 pm

Ah sweet! The error has already been fixed, but thank you very much for the info Desktop Wade! If it happens again I;ll make sure to do that. :)

Sat Feb 08th, 2014 12:22 am

My day 7 is showing up on the tally as day 8, but day 7 is blank-- grey, not orange. Any suggestions?

EDIT: It's orange now... Apparently "Mountain Standard Time" is not correct for Denver-- my clock says it is not yet 11:30 pm, but the site thinks I am after midnight. I've changed my time zone now... any way to retroactively fix the fact that the site thinks I missed day 7?

Mon Feb 10th, 2014 8:55 am

Ok got some questions about the uploading process and if we'll be able to work this stuff out.. If we were to post 7 images once a week instead of posting daily due mainly to time is there a way to plug them into their appropriate day? Also once we upload an image it seems we can't edit/delete and re-upload, is there a way that I may be missing to do this?

Thanks Chaps!

Tue Feb 11th, 2014 9:31 pm

@Aseph You have to draw and upload every day. If you can change and edit the images/days, that's kind of beats the point of doing DDF.

Tue Feb 11th, 2014 9:35 pm

@CogNoman and @Osorio I get a jQuery overflow error when I want to check the Tally page (also takes pretty long to actually show something). It's probably because of all the prep work that is going on within JavaScript while building up the page, since there is more and more data coming trough with every extra day. Just wanted to give you guys a heads up :)

Tue Feb 11th, 2014 1:53 pm

Sup! I had a question about the editing process. Is there a way to rotate an uploaded image? I know there is a 'vertical or horizontal' option in the uploading

Tue Feb 11th, 2014 1:54 pm

thing-a-ma-boby, but it seems to do nothing :(. And I'm away for a weekend, so there will be a couple more phone uploads, and I want to see if I can make sure they're rotated properly.
Thanks :)

Tue Feb 11th, 2014 1:56 pm

sorry for spamming, it wouldn't post the entire comment for some reason. Apparently i'm comment challenged as well as upload challenged :)

Thu Feb 13th, 2014 11:34 am

I love seeing everyone's work here, and the new format looks wonderful! There are 2 things that happen frequently that seem to keep it from reaching it's full potential.

1) I am constantly having to log back in. Why?
2) "Remember Me" doesn't.
3) The site can be dog slow, seemingly at random.

The reason I say this affects potential is that I can't, for example, leave a tab open to peruse and comment through out

Sat Feb 15th, 2014 9:53 pm

So my day 12 appeared as an early day 13. Can this be fixed pretty pretty please? The orange square is mocking me. I've fixed the daylight savings (wait-why?) in my profile.

Wed Feb 19th, 2014 10:33 am

hey all--just got here. Dave, I took your ZB class recently ;)
-kevin

Fri Feb 21st, 2014 10:53 pm

No "likes" show up in my menu... even though I've liked a bunch of stuff.
Also, it shows I'm "following" one person, but not who that person is, or link to their tally/gallery/profile; which makes that feature kind of useless.

Sun Feb 23rd, 2014 4:05 pm

@SabbathHalo: Ahoy Sabbath - to see the people you're following, along with their posts, just go to the "daily draw" tab (at the top of the screen) and click on "Entries by Those You Follow". Or go here.

Eventually, this "Following" feature will be integrated much more visibly on the site, along with a few other filtering/sorting options, so people can quickly switch between the Main board and a smaller, personalized, 'filtered' board, but unfortunately life/job commitments (plus plain fatigue, I think) have kinda slowed things down these past few weeks. But yeah, the Follow Feature is there - check it out!

As for the "Likes", yeah, that isn't finished. When it gets finished (some time after February), everything you've liked so far will show up.

----------------------------------------

@ada_k
: K, we'll change that. Yeah, the Daylight Savings thing was/is a nuisance. The reason we had to have people change that manually is because we're using the old SatelliteSoda forum clock to keep track of people's days (it was the fastest way to get everything up and running), and that old clock doesn't automatically detect if somebody is on Daylight Savings Time for some reason. We could have just added one hour to everybody's times so they wouldn't have to manually change that themselves... but then everybody who wasn't on Daylight Savings time woulda gotten screwed. So it was just... yeah. The whole "time zone selection" thing is something we very much want to simplify/fix.

Sun Feb 23rd, 2014 4:08 pm

@frostfyre: Yeah, Osorio's been looking in to why the site logs people out. Some people say they get logged out frequently and others don't seem to notice at all (in my case, I've lost a number of comments myself because the site logged me out while I was typing, and then I had to log back in to re-type my comment, heh, yargh).

As for the site slowing down occasionally... that could be due to a lot of things. SatelliteSoda upgraded their server in January in order to handle Feb as smoothly as possible, but the server isn't like, a crazy-intense server so if a bunch of people all decide to upload gigantic-sized files at the same time, or there's a sudden wave of people coming to the site or whatever, it's possible that could affect things. And of course, some pages on the site (like the Tally) tend to slow down as more data/more posts get added to them throughout the month, because of how they're currently coded. But yeah, thanks very much for the thoughts, frost. If you have any other thoughts, definitely feel free to post them. We know a *lot* of the problems with the site, but we might not know all of them.

----------------------------------------

@LynxMB: Yeah, heh, there's a goofy issue where every picture that gets uploaded with a phone keeps coming out sideways (horizontal). Early in the month, Osorio did add a simple "Rotate" feature to try to fix this, and it worked... on everything except for the phone pictures, which was the whole point of it, heh. So it got shelved for now. Not quite sure why phone photos don't want to rotate - but yeah, it's on the list of Things To Fix.

(Also, Lynx, if you want to know: If you ever want to edit your comments, you can click the little 'Edit' button on the bottom right of the comment. It looks like a little square picture.)

Sun Feb 23rd, 2014 4:11 pm

@RVDW: Thanks very much for the heads-up, R. Osorio separated the Tally in to multiple pages to hopefully help with this for now. Also, this piece is awesome, heh.

----------------------------------------

@somni: Yeah, users can't 'switch out' images, unfortunately. Like Osorio mentioned though, this could change. We're considering throwing out a poll to get people's thoughts on things like this (i.e., would people prefer a 'hard' approach for Daily-Draw, or would they rather more lax editing rules... or some sort of middle-ground, etc). We want to make this thing work for people as best as it can, right down to things like this - so thanks very much for bringing this up, somni.

Sun Feb 23rd, 2014 4:14 pm

@Aseph: I'm very, very sorry for my incredible slowness in posting a reply here. As far as editing/deleting pictures, yep, if you go to the place where you upload your images (the 'upload' button at the top of the screen), and then click on "UPLOADED", you'll see all your images, along with Edit/Delete functions for each one.

As far as giving users the ability to just "create 7 images on their own time, then come to the site on the 7th day and slot those 7 images in to the corresponding days"... this is actually a very interesting dilemma, and I'm in two minds on it myself, so we might need to throw this out to everybody (maybe with a post-Feb poll?) to see what people would want.

On the one hand, like RVDW alluded to, the fact that people need to post "on the day" is  basically the gimmick that Daily-Draw is built around. If people could just post whenever they want, what's the difference between Daily-Draw February and any other month in the year? And besides, if a person wants to log in once a week and upload all 7 images on one day, they're of course still always welcome to do that here. Nobody would mind (on the contrary, we'd actually be pumped to see that the person came back, heh).

On the other hand, everybody here can certainly appreciate the fact that people have limited time and that uploading every day is not easy for anybody. And there's also the fact that we have no way of actually verifying that the people who *are* uploading every day aren't just cheating  anyway - they could just as easily have drawn all their images a week ago, and are only now uploading them. So it's not like 'uploading an image every day' really proves that you actually worked on those images that day. PLUS there's also the fact that some people really don't like uploading half-finished works, so instead of posting something half-finished, they would rather wait a day, finish it, and then post it. And so technically they did draw on that day, but for personal reasons, pride, etc, they just didn't want to post it.

So there are lots of reasons to consider allowing people to just upload images whenever they want, as well as reasons not to.

After this February, we'll ask around (maybe get a poll going) to see if the ability to "upload an image whenever they want, and slot it in to the corresponding day" is something most people would want. Nothing is ever set in stone with this February Challenge, so if there's a better way of doing something, I for one am totally down for it. One possible option to satisfy both groups could be that we could have 2 separate tallies; one showing the days on which people actually uploaded, and one showing the images that people actually want to show, on the day that they want them to show up on. Kinda like a 'filtered' secondary tally, showing only the images people most want to show off. Or we could get rid of the Tally entirely. There are a few possible routes - whichever one works the best for people is what we would like to go with. But yeah, sorry again for my slowness, Aseph.

Mon Feb 24th, 2014 11:58 pm

@ CogNoman - thanks for the info.

Tue Feb 25th, 2014 12:16 pm

@CogNoman - No worries man! I was just curious I'm sure you have bigger fish to fry in any case thanks for thinking about it!

@RVDW - I kind of figured some one would mention this and I agree to an extent. I actually like to post finished stuff for the most part "despite how crap they look lol" and at times I don't get to that point in the same day due to my many projects and work which I could post instead but would rather not. But yeah I agree with you non the less. I just decided not to overload myself and just work on what I can when I can.

Thanks!!!

Wed Feb 26th, 2014 10:34 pm

I thought I'd explore all these other options and I decided to check my tally.

I noticed it shows no upload for day 19 and 21, which is wrong. When you click on day 20 it takes you to my day 19 drawing. Same for Day 22; shows as 21.

Now, I'm not going to lose sleep over this, but I've made all the deadlines. This seems more like a glitch than human error... is this fixable and is there other tally's that might be wrong?

-----------------edit---------------------------
I looked at it again, and it seems to think my timezone is Mountain and not Pacific... those uploads are showing as 12am uploads when they should've been 11pm. My user settings are correct in my preferences!?

------------------edit2-------------------------

I had 'Summer Time/DSTis in effect' set to yes. Fixed, and feel stupid. Can I fix the two days in orange?

Thu Feb 27th, 2014 1:02 pm

@SWILM: Hi SWILM - yeah, as you deduced, Days 19 and 21 didn't show up on your tally because the clock you were on was one hour too eager. Just added you to the list of tallies to update (you and ada_k), so we'll change those two days as soon as the programmer gets a chance. Sorry for this - like I say, the whole "time zone selection / deadline" thing was something we really wanted to make much simpler/more obvious for everybody (for specifically this reason), but just didn't have time to implement. Try not to miss the last two days now, haha!

Thu Feb 27th, 2014 7:06 pm

I had a longer comment, but the it got jacked up because I included a link.*having posting problems, trying to fix*

My blank 23... I uploaded it the day after, because I spaced out while painting something else and missed the midnight cutoff.  I uploaded it the next day, along with a bit of polish, and documented what state it was at midnight.
So on day 24 I have two uploads.

If, as discussed above, it's cool to fix that (since I documented how I blew it in the post anyway), then awesome... otherwise, in the bubble view, can you make my 24 show up on day 24 instead of my 23(belated)?

No biggie either way, thanks a ton for coordinating again!  Happy to have something actually complete at the end of the month instead of my usual random scribbles.

*edit* inserting link again.

Thu Feb 27th, 2014 10:06 pm

@CogNoman thanks dude.

Thu Feb 27th, 2014 8:55 pm

@CogNoman, thanks dude, I'll have to give you a handsome amount of likes.

Fri Feb 28th, 2014 10:44 am

@valleydweller: Ah, sorry valley - we're only changing the tallies for the people who originally thought they had posted their images on time, but then found out later that the site was recording their days on a different time zone (because of Daylight Savings, or whatever) and so marked those images late. It's the fair way of doing things. We're not changing the tallies for everybody who actually knew they posted after their deadline, heh, so am not sure what to do about that Day 23... There's definitely a few people on the board in your same scenario though, so maybe we can come up with sort of solution. Not sure what that solution could be just yet, though... Will have to think-

@ada_k & @SWILM: No worries! They're not changed yet (currently just waiting for the programmer to come back), but they shall be!

Sat Mar 01st, 2014 7:30 am

I also thought I posted on time, it's my very last one too. I got all the others in on time, so can I get my #28 in?

Thu Mar 06th, 2014 10:46 am

Thanks for a another great year guys and thanks for hosting all this. See you next year!

Quote Left  Shut your face.  Quote Right